Formwork is the name given to all arrangements made to support the wet concrete until the time it becomes solid to takes its own load without any support.Usually, Steel, wooden or Aluminum materials are used to make molds to be used as formwork. Formworks are used as molds into which concrete is poured in for solidifying only. To manufacture formwork expenditure of around 20 percent of total structure cost is made and it required a good amount of time to make these formworks.
After a specified time when concrete is solidified to take its own load these formworks are removed. The process of removing formwork is known as striping. These formworks can be reused again for a longer period. These kinds of formwork which can be reused again are known as Panel forms, on the other hand, non- reusable formwork called stationary forms.
Types of Formwork are Shuttering, Centering, Staging.
Shuttering: all kind of vertical support provided to wet concrete are known as Shuttering like beam side, Slab side or column side. Columns are most important part of a building.
All the load of the slab is put on columns once the staging is removed. Columns Shuttering is very carefully designed as per the targeted column sizes. Columns can be round columns or square shaped. For round shaped columns, Shuttering set made of two round plate is used at fixed to other using nut bolts and external support with props is given to make it strong enough to stand against the pressure put by vibrations caused by the vibrator. For the square columns Set of four plates is used.
Shuttering plates are used vertically to support beam sides of the building structure. Beams take a load of the slab, therefore, the solidity of beams is a must for a solid building structure. Shuttering plates of the size of the beam are required during beam casting.
Similarly Shuttering Plates have to be used vertically for the giving shape to slab size. Placement and tucking of slab side plate should be firm to hold the concrete and provide shape to the slab.
Centering is the name given to all kinds of horizontal support like beam bottom and slab bottom.
Beam Bottom supports are horizontal visible part of the beam. It has to 3 Inches wider than the size of beam because two beam sides having a width of 1.50 Inches each pare placed on it and fastened with nut bolt to get the desired size of the beam.
Slab Bottom are Centering Plates which are placed on Channels to provide shape for the slab. They are supported by the staging done and placed on steel channels put under it for proper adjustment.
Staging is all arrangements done to support shuttering and Centering at heights during construction of buildings.
Scaffolding is all arrangements done to support men and material at heights during construction, Repairing and Painting or Cleaning of Buildings.
Features of a good formwork :
- Formwork should be strong enough to take load placed on it.
- It should be watertight to prevent leakage of wet concrete to get a very solid and well-finished structure after the removal of formwork.
- It should be rigidly manufactured and supported both horizontally and vertically to withstand the weight and pressure of wet concrete.
- It should be easy to remove so that any kind of damage is not caused to structure during its removal.
- It should be made out of easily available and cheap material.
- It Should be light so that its handling is easy.
- It should be easy to transport from one place to other.
Benefits of using steel formworks against Timber formwork:
- Steel Formwork is Durable and Strong so they are long-lasting and can be reused a number of times.
- Steel Formwork is easy to install remove and remove.
- The quality and finish of Structure are very high using steel formwork.
- Steel formwork doesn’t absorb moisture.
Name: VCC Shuttering House
Adress: Derabassi, Chandigarh
Phone Number: +91-9915980350,9915353218